Tuesday 12 February 2013

Battle Report 25 points Strakhov Vs Kraye

This was unfortunately a very quick match, mainly due to time constraints, however it did prove really quite useful and has highlighted a point I mentioned in an earlier blog. Infantry beats Jacks!

As this was a 'fun' game my opponent opted to field a Jack only army:

Kraye
Ironclad
Ironclad
Hunter
Hunter
Minuteman

Whereas I chose to try my previous Strakhov list, with a few less trimmings:

Strakhov
Torch
Kayazy Assassins (Max)
Kayazy Underboss
Kayazy Eliminators
Kayazy Eliminators
Great Bears of Gallowswood

 Having won the roll for deployment I chose to deploy Torch just behind a forest on the right hand side of the table with Strakhov just a liitle further back. To the right of them I deployed one set of Eliminators, with my Assassins and Great Bears all deployed to the left of Strakhov, behind a building (classed as impassable terrain)  with my second set of Eliminators deployed on my left Flank. My opponent chose to deploy both Kraye and his Ironclads opposite Torch, with the Hunters and Minuteman Advance Deploying further over on the left flank.



Khador Turn 1

First thing I wanted to try to close the gap on my opponent, given the lack of shooting in this army, I felt Stealth was mostly pointless so ran my first set of Eliminators straight up the right flank, aiming to meance Kraye to a degree and hopefully draw out an Ironclad or two. Strakhov then activated, casting Superiority on Torch then moving closer to the forest. Torch then walked forward into the forest (in hindsight I realise I should've charged given Torch's Relentless Charge ability) and deployed smoke bombs (again rather stupid given that I already had concealment due to being in a forest. My Assassins then ran forward filling the gap between the forest and the building, with enough spacing so that if anything were close enough I could charge next turn, my second Eliminator unit also ran for cover behind the building, with the Great Bears running over to the left flank with the view of taking down the Hunters that were both deployed on that side, stopping in B2B (Base to Base) for the armour bonus.

Cygnar Turn 1

My opponent's first move was to cast full tilt on his Minuteman, followed by closing up his Ironclads into a tighter formation and then Kraye cast Mage sight to remove Stealth from the Eliminators on my right flank. One unfortunate Kayazy Elimintaor was then dispatched by Kraye's gun, the other managed to avoid getting hit. The Minuteman then Activated and swiftly ran towards my Assassin squad and popped it's Flak Field killing two Assassins and just sparing a third thanks to it's Tough roll. Then came the turn of the Hunters who moved forward and took a shot each at the Great Bears, leaving Yarovich with just two damage boxes, then darting back thanks to their cavalry move granted by Kraye.

Khador Turn 2

Up keeping Superiority, I found that this turn I had two main objectives, firstly to destroy the minuteman currently sitting in the midst of my Assassins, second, to try and cause Kraye some hurt with my remaining Eliminator. With this in mind I declared a charge at the lead Ironclad, as I had realised I wouldn't reach Kraye and I knew that being in melee would increase her chances of survival, managing to take a fair chunk of damage off the Ironclad (which proves very useful later). Meanwhile the Assassins walked into combat with the Minuteman and started hacking it into a wreck, leaving my other Eliminators to run to assist the Great Bears and threaten Kraye. The Great Bears walked given that due to their cavalry move, the hunters were out of charge range, maintaining B2B and moving Yarovich towards the back of their triangle formation. Strakhov then moved into the forest and cast Sentry on him self, with Torch moving just out of the forest.

Cygnar Turn 2 - Feat Turn

Kraye popped his feat and then moved towards the centre of the board, hiding behind a wall to maintain cover from Strakhov. The Iron clads then activated, with one finishing the last Eliminator on my right flank and the second moving towards Torch. The Hunters then both activated, charging the second set of eliminators, only killing off one of them, then using their cavalry movement to get away (unusually they were immune to free strikes, which caused some confusion) and ended my opponent's turn.

Khador Turn 3 - Feat Turn

Again I upkept Superiority, pushing Strakhov towards the Assassins casting Rift on the furthest Ironclad  and popped his feat making all the cavalry movement that the Hunters made last turn became essentially meaningless in terms of their survival. The Great Bears charged into the Hunters, killing both with two attacks each (Managing 20 damage on one dice roll). Torch then walked up to the closest Ironclad crippling all of it's systems apart from it's open fist, unfortunately I'd forgotten to allocate focus otherwise the likelihood is it'd been scrapped that turn. The last Eliminator made a run for Kraye and dealt four damage to him, ending a pretty productive feat turn.

Cygnar Turn 3

Kraye charged Strakhov bringing him down to just four damage boxes (fortunately my overboosted powerfield saved me on this occasion). The unenagaged Ironclad then charged Torch, crippling his Spiked Fist and Flamethrower, then attempted to throw Torch only to throw him into the second Ironclad dealing it three damage, while Torch sustained no damage. The second Ironclad did some damage to Torch with his open fist, but failed to cripple any systems fortunately.


Unfortunately this is where the game ended, however given what we could see we both felt the that the Ironclads would've both been scrapped on my next turn, as for caster kill, I think it's fair to say that Kraye would've struggled to survive Strakhov going all out with support from the Great Bears, all the same I'm willing to call this game a draw although I did learn a fair deal from this game, such as a mass of infantry like the Kayazy Assassins can be lethal to a Jack, especially on the charge. Also it has shown that even when something may look safe and you are facing Strakhov, don't count on it being their next turn if his feat is still waiting to be used. In all this was a good game despite it being weighted more in my favour given his all Jack army as it did force me to thing given my usual staples, the widowmakers and wardog were both absent in this game due to points being short.

This coming monday I will be taking part in a 4 way warmachine game, so expect a monster battle report from that one, can't wait to try out this list again.

No comments:

Post a Comment