Tuesday 18 June 2013

Journeyman Battle Report 35 Points pButcher vs eStryker

Month four of the journeyman league and I'd miraculously managed to claw my way up from 8th (of 9) in the table to 4th so I was looking for a fresh win to add to the points. I faced this opponent previously in month 2 so knew vaugley how they would try to play completely forgetting this month's special rule. "Month 4 - you may change your caster, but not your battlegroup", this meant that instead of facing eHaley as I had previously I was up against eStryker, by no means was I any more complacent for that fact mind, as eStryker is a pure assassination caster and I've quite often left Butcher out in the open feeling secure only for really weird assassination attempts to kill him in one turn, so I knew I had to be on my toes.

Month 4 Scenario - Steam Roller Scenario 5: Incursion, three flags placed in the middle of the board at 12" intervals, 1 CP for controlling, 2 for Dominating, with Killbox in effect.

Having played using Irusk the past few months I decided to return to my caster of choice, pButcher and given how his feat is all about damage potential I tried to build my list accordingly.


Khador
pButcher (+6WJPs)
Wardog (1)

Drago (8)

Man O War Shocktroopers - Max Unit (9)
Man O War Demo Corps - Min Unit (6)
Iron Fang Ulhans - Min Unit (7)
Kovnik Markov (4)
Fenris (With Dismount) (5)

This list was made more to rack up painting points if I'm honest, however I found that the speed I get from the Ulhans and Fenris countered the main weakness of the Man O Wars, their low speed, also it allowed me to finally try out some cavalry for when I eventually do an lVlad list.

Cygnar

eStryker (+6WJPs)
Squire (2)

Ironclad (7)
Stormclad (10)
Hunter (6)
Stormblades (6)
Arcane Tempest Gun Mages (6)
UA (2)
Rhupert Carvolo, Piper of Ord (2)
Journeyman Warcaster (3)

I won the deployment roll off and chose to deploy second. My opponent deployed his Gun Mages on his left flank, with the Ironclad deployed just to their right, the Stormclad and Stormblades deployed centrally, with the Journeyman, Rhupert and Stryker huddled into corner on his right flank. I then proceeded to deploy Fenris on my right flank opposite his Gun Mages, with the Man O War Shocktroopers shield walling in the centre with the Demo Corps directly behind them, Butcher deployed with the Wardog and Drago to the right of their formation with the Ulhans and Markov hanging back on the right flank.The Hunter then advanced deployed just in front of Stryker on my opponent's right flank.

Advance Move 
Stormblades, due to eStryker's Elite Cadre made their advance move, moving slightly ahead of the Stormclad

 Cygnar Turn 1

Gun Mages activated walking forwards to gain cover behind a wall split by a hut, the Ironclad moved forwards keeping their right side secure. The Stormclad activated gaining a focus from the Stormblades, then running forward. The hunter activated walking forward into the forest, Rhupert activated walking forward and giving Fearless and Tough to the Stormblades, who in turn walked forward to keep up with the Stormclad. Journeyman activated casting Arcane Sheild on to Stryker who then walked towards the forest the Hunter now stood in.

Khador Turn 1 

 Fenris activated and ran just short of his full run as I knew the Gun Mages would tear him to pieces if they got to shoot him before he reached them. Man O War Shocktroopers ran, as did the Demo Corps, Drago ran into a forest with the arm of setting up a charge on the Ironclad in a couple of turns. Butcher and the Wardog plugged the gap between the forest and the Man O Wars, sitting just behind the right most shocktrooper. The Ulhans then ran round the ruins one their left to the far left board edge, swiftly followed by Markov. At the end of my turn we rolled to see which objective was to disappear and the dice came up as a 2 removing the objective sat between the Ulhans and the Hunter.

Cygnar Turn 2

Journeyman, upkept Arcane Shield on Stryker, then the Gun Mages activated and attempted to shoot Fenris finding themselves 2" short of him (good thing he didn't run his full 16"...), the Ironclad walked around the wall and faced the Man O Wars. The Stormclad then activated walking forward and shooting at the right most Ulhan with boosted damage from the Accumulator focus, dealing three damage to him (so grateful for Defensive line at this point). The Hunter activated taking a shot at the left most Ulhan and failed to see him for the trees. The Stormblades walked forwards. Leaving Rhupert to advance into the forest and again give Fearless and Tough to the Stormblades, with the Squire walking forwards in front of Stryker. At the end of the turn we measured for Killbox and Stryker was just out conceeding 2 CPs

Khador 2CPs Cygnar 0CPs

Khador Turn 2

Activating Fenris, I chose to run him his full 16" putting him in the melee range of the Gun Mages, who passed their command check for Fenris' Adbomination Ability. The Shocktroopers used their shield wall order and advanced slowly, spreading themselves out a little, the Demo Corps walking close behind. Butcher cast Fury on to Drago and walked in behind the middle of the shield wall with the Wardog following close behind. the Ulhans walked forwards, along with Markov (I knew I couldn't charge anything and running towards the potential targets didn't seem like a good idea at the time).

Khador 2CPs Cygnar 0CPs

Cygnar Turn 3

Upkeeping Arcane Shield on Stryker my opponent started by activating the Gun Mages. My opponent  then did the most sensible thing considering what they were facing, they walked backwards, taking two free strikes from Fenris, which killed the two hit, then attempted to shoot Fenris, failing to connect due to his being stood behind a wall for cover and a great deal of poor dice rolls. The Ironclad activated walking ponderously round to support the Gun Mages. The Hunter then opened up on the Ulhans taking one down due to his armour piercing gun, the Stormclad attempted to kill the unit leader, but fortunately only did minor damage to him, the Stormblades stayed close and then Rhupert activated giving Stryker Pathfinder. Stryker then activated Velocity spending three focus to move 6" and then walked to behind the Stormblades, leaving the Squire to run after him.

Khador 2CPs Cygnar 0CPs

Khador Turn 3

I up kept Fury on Drago then once again Fenris activated first, walking him over the wall to engage the Gun Mages, taking out three. The Ulhans charged the Stormclad, scoring a Critical hit knocking it down, but not crippling any systems. Markov then charged the Hunter crippling it's gun. The Man O Wars once again Shield walled and walked towards the middle objective, with Butcher, the Wardog and Demo Corps following, while Drago walked out of the forest.

Khador 2CPs Cygnar 0CPs

Cygnar Turn 4 
  
Once more upkeeping Arcane shield on Stryker, the Gun Mages went first choosing to try to engage Fenris dealing three damage. The Ironclad walked round to try to reach Fenris but as it was too far away from Stryker to get focus it fell short again.The Stormclad activated attacking the Ulhans taking one down to one damage box, but missing with his second attack. The Stormblades moved back away from the Ulhans to screen Stryker. Rhupert then walked towards Stryker giving the Stormblades Fearless and Tough again, leaving the hunter and squire. The Squire ran over to Stryker, leaving the Hunter to scrap with Markov doing no damage and finally the journeyman warcaster walked over to where Stryker was stood and the turn was passed.

Khador Turn 4

Dropping Fury off Drago the Man O War Shocktroopers adavnced into base to base with the centre flag, putting themselves between the Stormclad and Stormblades, Butcher then Activated and walked into base to base with the flag to dominate it, then Drago Ran for free thanks to Aggressive to control the last fflag and gain that last CP

Khador 5CPs Cygnar 0CPs

That match could've gone very differently given two things, better dice rolls all round, but in terms of my opponent it felt to me that the moment I threw my Cavalry into the flanks that I started to herd his army with my moves, I also noticed this with how he used Stryker though in his defence it's his thrid game using eStryker having used eHaley and they require two different playstyles while Haley can hang back, Stryker in his epic incarnation has to be up front looking for ways to kill the opposing caster fast as if he lets the opponent dictate the flow of the game it becomes so much more difficult to play to Stryker's strengths.

Overall it was a game that made me think as I was well aware of what Assassination casters can do and I was pretty much ready for this one. I must say that while the Man O Wars were slow, I feel that with the Iron Fang Kovnik they have a great deal of potential as over two turns in shield wall the Kovnik allows the MoWs to walk as far as they could normally walk in three turns in two, but it's all theory until it hits the table, so I'll be using him next match so I can post a profile when I get some free time. Next match another Cygnar game, once again vs eStryker could be an interesting game.

No comments:

Post a Comment